I love creating healthy yet indulgent recipes, making them gut friendly, anti-inflammatory and nutrient dense without sacrificing taste.
This Healthy Chocolate Cake recipe doesn’t contain any refined sugars or refined flour so you can avoid that insulin spike that store bought cakes can give.
I am a big fan rapadura sugar which is a unrefined cane sugar, dried at low temperatures to maintain nutritional properties so there is no other processing involved. Unlike other sugars that can be highly processed, refined and bleached.
You can use this recipe as a base and experiment with different toppings like seasonal fruits, nuts or seeds. Enjoy!
Healthy Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 2 1/2 almond meal
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 free range eggs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 cup rapadura sugar
- 8 cacao butter buttons
- ½ cup raw cacao
- 2-3 tablespoons rice malt syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon smooth almond butter
- pinch of salt
- Strawberries to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees, line round 20cm spring form tin with baking paper, grease sides with butter and dust with cacao powder.
2. Combined almond meal, cocao powder, rapadura sugar, baking powder and baking soda into a bowl.
3. Add eggs, olive oil and milk and combine well. Bake for 50 minutes or until just cooked through.
5. Add chocolate sauce ingredients into a small saucepan and melt on a low heat, alternatively melt in microwave. Pour sauce over cake and top with strawberries.
Written by Melissa Kovacevic
Nutrition Coach & EFT Practitioner
Mel is a Mum of two beautiful babies, she is based in Canberra. Her passion is to empower her clients to heal their relationship with food and their bodies. She also loves creating natural and easy recipes to make eating healthy easy. Her approach is gentle, warm and uplifting.